The Intersection Apartments are an exciting independent-living option for single graduate students and postdoctoral researchers.
Located in Emeryville, the Intersection Apartments are about three miles (a 15-minute drive or a 30-minute bus ride) from the UC Berkeley campus. Emeryville is a dynamic and diverse city, home to a wide range of restaurants, cafes, shopping centers, movie theaters, and local businesses. Intersection is a short walk away from Safeway, Pak n’ Save and Target, and only a short free shuttle ride or drive to the outdoor Bay Street mall. There are several restaurants close by serving a variety of cuisines, including Vietnamese, Mediterranean, Japanese, vegan, and American food. You are also five minutes away from Pixar Animation Studios main office! Learn more about living in Emeryville.
The Apartment Complex
The Intersection Apartments are light-filled, airy and modern, with oversized windows in the heart of bustling, vibrant Emeryville.
- Apartment types:
- Junior One-Bedroom
- One Bedroom, One Bath
- Two Bedroom, One Bath
- Two Bedroom, Two Bath
- Four Bedroom, Three Bath
- Studios and one-bedrooms are single occupancy; larger apartments have single-occupancy bedrooms and shared common areas.
- Fully furnished: desk, chair, bed frame and mattress (bring your own bedding!), dresser, sofa, end table, kitchen table and chairs, as well as window coverings
- Full kitchen with refrigerator, oven, stove, sink, microwave and dishwasher (bring your own utensils and kitchen towels)
- Living/dining area in the apartment
- In-unit laundry washer and dryer that are not coin operated (bring your own laundry detergent and dryer supplies)
- Some units have an apartment balcony
- Hard flooring and carpet
- Oversized windows
- Limited parking available for an additional fee
- Bicycle parking is available for free on the second floor of the parking garage.
- See Environmental Health Disclosure
Who’s Eligible to Apply?
Single graduate students and post-doctoral researchers. Priority is given to students enrolled in the Optometry Program as well as Chancellor Fellowship recipients.
Please note this location cannot accommodate families; for family housing, please consider University Village.
The AC Transit Transbay F Bus Line picks up a couple blocks from the Intersection Apartments (on the corner of 40th St and Adeline), and will carry you eastbound to UC Berkeley or westbound to San Francisco. The building is served by the following AC Transit bus lines: 36, 57, 72, 72M, 72R, F; see AC Transit map for campus housing for more details.
The MacArthur BART (Bay Area Regional Transit) train station is a 15-minute walk from the Intersection Apartments, and can transport you anywhere in the Bay.
Emeryville also provides a free shuttle, the Emery Go-Round, that connects the MacArthur BART station with Emeryville places of interest and may shorten your commute.
Studios and one-bedroom apartments are single occupancy; larger apartments have single-occupancy bedrooms and shared common areas.
|Apartment type||Approx. Square Feet|
|One Bedroom, One Bath||563-712|
|Two Bedroom, One Bath||807|
|Two Bedroom, Two Bath||779-909|
|Four Bedroom, Three Bath||1354|
- Intersection room rates include gas, hot water, and refuse collection service. UC Berkeley cannot assume responsibility for disruption of these services. Electrical service is not included. Residents must contact Pacific Gas & Electric in advance for electrical services to begin on the occupancy date.
- Comcast high-speed Internet access is included; however, while Intersection is a campus-managed building, it is not part of the campus-managed Internet network. The University’s helpdesk will be available to troubleshoot residents’ personal devices where possible. However, residents may be directed to contact Comcast directly for connectivity and/or network support.
- Some units have a balcony which adds an additional 59-69 square feet to the size of the unit.
- The Intersection Apartments are considered on-campus apartments for budgetary purposes with the Financial Aid Office. This apartment building remains open for the winter break and Intersection room rates are inclusive of occupancy during this time period.
- Studio Apartments
- One-Bedroom Apartments
- Two-Bedroom Apartments
- Four-Bedroom Apartments
- 2 Bedroom Apartment
- 4 Bedroom Apartment
D Bedroom A
- Junior 1 bedroom
- Studio balcony
- 1 Bedroom
- Large 1 Bedroom
While apartment rates do not include meal plans, there are options! Residents may purchase one of our university apartment and off-campus meal plans or use their Cal 1 Card to enjoy Berkeley Dining’s services at any of the dining commons and several on-campus restaurants and convenience stores.
Cleaning is your responsibility
It is up to you to keep your room clean, and work with your roommates to keep the shared apartment spaces clean as well. Taking good care of your living space on a regular basis helps prevent pests, allergens, and damage that can result from accumulated dirt. Review our Apartment Cleaning & Maintenance Tips.
No Smoking Policy
UC Berkeley is committed to providing a healthy, smoke-free environment for students, faculty, and staff. Accordingly, no smoking is permitted in student rooms, or inside buildings, including lounges, balconies and breezeways, and stairways. Smoking is only permitted outside in designated areas.
Sample Housing Agreement & Important Docs:
Questions about Single Student Apartments? Interested in touring the apartments? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Environmental Health Disclosure
The Intersection Apartments property previously contained two underground storage tanks that leaked hydrocarbons into the surrounding soil; these tanks were removed in 2002, and a third tank that showed no evidence of leaking was removed in 2012. The former property owner undertook site investigations and, with the oversight and approval of the Alameda County Department of Environmental Health (ACDEH), performed cleanup activities to address the residual contamination. In June 2021, ACDEH determined that the cleanup activities were properly completed and that the Property now requires no further remedial action to protect human health, safety, and the environment pursuant to the State Water Resources Control Board’s Low-Threat Underground Storage Tank Closure Policy. More comprehensive information on this cleanup is available at: https://geotracker.waterboards.ca.gov/profile_report?global_id=T06019788682. The Intersection Apartments property is also undergoing cleanup for residual soil vapor, overseen by ACDEH, and the University expects that the responsible parties will complete this process in the near future. ACDEH and the University will not allow any occupancy of buildings on the site until tests confirm that contamination is and will remain below levels that would pose a threat to human health, safety, and the environment. More comprehensive information on this cleanup is available at: https://geotracker.waterboards.ca.gov/profile_report.asp?global_id=T10000010062.